Saturday, May 19, 2012

A Scholarly Search of Hunchback: What I Found


This may not seem all that exciting, but anyone interested in researching The Hunchback of Notre Dame (or any other major literary work) and its connection with digital media should take a look at what I found.

Projected Thesis statement (or a very, very rough draft):   Creating a multi sensory experience of Notre Dame de Paris by Victor Hugo by translating it into different mediums changes the way the reader or viewer sees and interacts with the original text.

Annotated Bibliography:

Nassiboullina, Lira. "Comparative Analysis of the French, English, and Russian Versions of the Musical Notre-Dame De Paris." - Spectrum: Concordia University Research Repository. Concordia University, 09 June 2011. Web. 19 May 2012. <http://spectrum.library.concordia.ca/7512/>.
This is a Master's Thesis I found through Google Scholar that compares the French, English, and Russian musical adaptions of Victor Hugo's Notre Dame de Paris.  I am using it to supplement my own research of the musical Notre Dame de Paris and how that medium compares with other media adaptions of Hugo’s The Hunchback of Notre Dame.


 Grossman, Kathryn M. "From Classic to Pop Icon: Popularizing Hugo." JSTOR. American Association of Teachers of French, Feb. 2001. Web. 19 May 2012. <http://www.jstor.org/stable/399430>.
I found this section of the book French Review through the HBLL Library website through JSTOR. It is a critical analysis of the pop culture effects of the media adaptations of Victor Hugo's Notre Dame de Paris. I have read this because it directly addresses many of the same issues I am researching regarding The Hunchback of Notre Dame in the media.

Szwydky, Lissette L. "Victor Hugo's Notre Dame De Paris on the Nineteenth Century London Stage." Taylor and Francis. 30 July 2010. Web. 19 May 2012. <http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10509585.2010.498952>.
I have looked at this journal article that I found through Google Scholar.  It is a critique of the adaptations of Hugo’s Notre Dame de Paris as it has been taken to the stage.  I have mainly looked at it for the change of character analysis it gives, as novels get adapted to the stage.

Ridington, Robin, et al. "Ethnopoetic Translation in Relation to Audio, Video, and New Media Representations." (2011): 211-41.MLA International Bibliography. Web. 19 May 2012. <http://search.proquest.com/mlaib/docview/913260572/136C73786C22842E85C/1?accountid=4488>.

This article I found through MLA Bibliography.  It describes the translation from media to media, which is why I have been looking at it, as I am researching the media to media translation of The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Killick, Rachel. “Notre-Dame de Paris as Cinema:  From Myth to Commodity.” Victor Hugo: Romancier De L'abĂ®me. Ed. J.A. Hiddleston. Oxford: European Humanities Research Centre, University of Oxford, 2002. 41-62. Print.
I checked this book out of the Harold B. Lee Library.  The section that interested me was chapter three, which is about the translation of Notre-dame de Paris onto the movie screen.  It goes through some of the details of that process and how that differs from the book, which matches my research.

Hales, N. Katherine. "Translating Media: Why We Should Rethink Textuality." The Yale Journal of Criticism. Yale University and The Johns Hopkins University Press, 2003. Web. 19 May 2012. <http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/yale_journal_of_criticism/v016/16.2hayles.html>.
Through Project Muse I found this scholarly article from The Yale Journal of Criticism.  It discusses my topic of translation of text into the media.  I am looking at it for a more general understanding and insight into that field and applying it to The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Decker, James M. "Literary Text, Cinematic "Edition": Adaptation, Textual Authority, and the Filming of Tropic of Cancer." College Literature. West Chester University Press, 2007. Web. 19 May 2012. <http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/college_literature/v034/34.3decker.html>.
This is another article I found on Project Muse by using search terms such as “hunchback of notre dame” and “media to media translation”.  It is another more general look at the process and criticism of translating a work of literature into different media sources.  It caught my eye and interest because of its focus on “adaptation” and “literary text”.

Hugo, Victor, and Isabel Roche. The Hunchback of Notre Dame. New York: Barnes & Noble Classics, 2004. Print.
This is the primary text of The Hunchback of Notre Dame that I have used for my research. I purchased this copy at Barnes and Noble. It is this text from which the rest of my research is branching.

Reflection:
I have spent the last several weeks looking online for information about translating a literary text into a film or stage adaptation and had had little success.  These searches however, by using MLA Bibliography, Project Muse, Google Scholar, and the Harold B. Lee Library’s resources helped me to find articles and scholarly journals that directly addressed the topic I am studying.  I had no idea the information that was already out there.  It was really interesting how the same articles and journals would appear when I used a variety of search engines.  I feel like I have a better grasp on what I want to be researching and writing about now that I have found these sources.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this list of articles. I have been meaning to read some scholarly reading on Hunchback. Though I have read the Concordia master thesis before.

    -Jess (The Hunchblog)

    ReplyDelete